A Guide from Your Motorcycle Insurance Team in Medicine Hat, Calgary, and Brooks
One of the biggest thrills of riding a motorcycle is the feeling of utter exposure and freedom. However, there are several factors to consider before you go for a ride. For instance, wearing safety gear is an important aspect of motorcycling, and will go a long way to protect you in case of an accident. Your wardrobe should be based on safety and comfort to ensure a smooth ride.
Even if you are diligent about wearing your protective gear, don’t forget to purchase motorcycle insurance. Full coverage will help protect both you and your bike so you can hit the road with complete confidence and peace of mind.
Motorcycle Safety Gear You Should be Wearing
Safety should be your top priority when riding a motorcycle. On the road, accidents may happen, and the right protective gear can significantly lower your chances of acquiring serious injuries. Here are a few items of clothing that should be worn to help keep you safe and make riding your motorcycle an enjoyable experience:
• Helmet: A helmet offers many benefits that go beyond protecting your head should an accident occur. They also offer shelter from the wind, noise, the sun, and road debris. Regardless of whether you choose a full-face, open face, or skull cap helmet, make sure that it is DOT approved. A good helmet will not fit too tightly or loosely, and must provide plenty of ventilation. Choose a helmet that is a bright colour and easily distinguishable from a distance.
• Eye Protection: If your helmet does not feature a visor, invest in separate eye protection. Ensure that your glasses or goggles are made with shatter-resistant material, and also provide UV protection. Eye protection will help keep wind, bugs, and dirt from obstructing your vision. If you are taking an extended road trip, it is a good idea to pack an extra pair of eyewear, in case you lose or break one pair.
• Jacket: Motorcycle jackets not only look cool, but they are also extremely useful for reducing or preventing abrasion injuries. Consider material, fit, and colour when choosing a jacket. For instance, thick leather or Kevlar are highly durable materials, and may offer more protection in case of an accident. Ensure the jacket fits comfortably while you are in a seated position, and wear a bright colour to make sure other drivers can see you.
• Gloves: Hands are particularly vulnerable to injury if you are in an accident. Make sure that your gloves are well-padded and extend past your wrists to also protect your hands against bugs and debris. Additionally, consider investing in two pairs of gloves if you live in an area that experiences summer and winter.
• Pants: Lower body protection is very important when it comes to motorcycle safety gear. Pants that are specifically designed for riding and made from leather, Kevlar, or other synthetic materials will offer the best protection. While a thick pair of jeans can be worn in an emergency, avoid shorts or athletic pants as they do not provide your legs with enough coverage.
• Boots: Motorcycle boots will protect your lower body from flying debris and potential burns from hot pipes. A good pair of boots will be tall enough to cover your ankles, feature a low heel, and have non-skid soles for proper gripping.
Find the Right Coverage for You and Your Motorcycle at Legends Insurance
For one-stop full coverage, look no further than Legends Insurance. As motorcycle enthusiasts, we understand how important it is to be insured on the road. We provide reliable customer service, and will work with you until you are completely satisfied with your coverage.
Our process of obtaining insurance is easy, simple, and hassle-free. We are also proud to offer reasonable rates for any budget, and outstanding service to all residents of Alberta. Whether you need auto insurance or motorcycle insurance in Medicine Hat, Calgary, Brooks, or surrounding cities, our knowledgeable team is here to serve you.
Get a quote today for your motorcycle, auto, or classic car insurance in Medicine Hat, Calgary, or Brooks from Legends Insurance. Give us a call today at 1-800-830-9423.