At Legends Collector Vehicle Insurance, we’ve been talking about the need for added protection for your exotic, antique, or custom-built car for years – but what does that mean, and one of the most asked questions we receive – do you qualify?
Qualification depends on usage and storage, as well as like everybody else – your driving record. To simplify the process, let’s start with what is NOT included, because of how they are used and the increased risk associated certain vehicles, including:
- Daily-use and Commercial-use vehicles;
- Camping, off-road, or utility-type vehicles; Motorcycles or scooters; Dune buggies; Motorhomes or recreational vehicles; and, Tractors in Newfoundland and Labrador, or Prince Edward Island;
- Replicas or late-model vehicles that have been highly customized for looks or performance (commonly referred to as tuners);
- Vehicles that are highly customized for appearance and suspension (commonly referred to as lowriders);
- Vehicles that are used for racing, timed events, autocross or driver’s education;
- Vehicles modified with features such as a roll cage, wheelie casters, parachutes, nitrous components or modifications that permanently remove the roof and/or doors;
- Vehicles with 700 horsepower or greater (manufactured or modified); and,
- Right-hand drive vehicles newer than 25 years, specifically those imported from Japan.
In order to qualify for our classic car insurance you must meet the following requirements:
- Flexible Usage – our policies allow you reasonable pleasure use, with no fixed restrictions – it just can’t be your daily drive.
- Storage – collector vehicles must be stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use including private residential garages, private pole building or barns, and rental storage units.
- Driver Eligibility – disqualification by a serious infraction within the last three years including alcohol-related offences, reckless driving, and excessive speed violations.
- Regular-Use Vehicles – All household members with a valid driver’s licence must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving; Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered viable regular use vehicles by our program (contact us for details); and, applicants must also maintain regular-use insurance in their own names.
If you need exotic, antique, or custom-built car insurance, Legends Insurance brokers are here to help you and your budget with excellent customer service. If you have questions about any of our custom insurance products, contact Legends Insurance in Bassano, Brooks, Calgary, Edmonton, and Medicine Hat – or anywhere in Alberta – at 1-800-830-9423 for a quote. Our technicians are ready and willing to work with you to protect your mechanical treasures and ensure your legend lives on.